Dental Exams & Cleanings
Your dentist will perform a thorough dental examination upon your first visit. Visits thereafter may include these preventive measures:
- Radiographic Examination (X-ray): Aid in the detection and diagnosis of oral diseases and conditions, as well as in evaluating tooth and root positioning
- Oral cancer screening: Your dentist will check for any lumps or tissue irregularities in and around your mouth, as these may be early indicators of oral cancer
- Periodontal screening: This evaluation will help prevent the onset of gum disease (gingivitis) and help determine proper treatment. Warning signs may include discoloration or swelling
- Checking for tooth decay: Your dentist will inspect the surfaces of your teeth for decay in order to prevent the formation of cavities
- Existing restorations: The integrity of existing restorations such as fillings, bridges, crowns, etc will be evaluated
Professional Dental Cleaning
Your Registered Dental Hygienist will ensure that your oral cavity is kept in good health by performing regular cleanings (also called prophylaxis). In addition to the routine dental exam outlined above, these thorough cleanings will include the following:
- Calculus (tartar) removal: While brushing and flossing are two key weapons against the buildup of tartar, only an experienced dentist can ensure that deposits, bacteria, and debris have been thoroughly removed. Calculus can form above and below the gum line and if left untreated, will result in a host of periodontal issues down the line.
- Plaque removal: Plaque is a thin, sticky, and nearly invisible deposit that forms on teeth and is a breeding ground for bacteria. Bacteria found in plaque produce toxins that irritate the gums, and if left untreated, is the beginning of tooth decay and, eventually, tooth loss.
- Teeth polishing: This is a cosmetic procedure that remove stains and plaque on tooth surfaces above the gum line. It is performed on patients who considered to be in good oral health.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.